Halloween is a fun time of year, but all of the sugar can be any mom’s worst nightmare. Check out our strategies to a healthier Halloween.
Skip the candy and pass out fun treasure box toys instead.
Instead of passing out candy pass out fun non-food items that kids love. Small containers of play-dough, sidewalk chalk, bubbles, temporary tattoos, and plastic jewelry, these are all healthy options that promote activity and creative play.
Not all Candy is created equal.
Mainstream candy is pretty bad, the cheap quality of hydrogenated oils, the dangerous colored dyes and the potent syrups used for sweeteners are nothing like homemade candy. First, avoid candy with colored dyes that are not natural, then avoid hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup. There are other offenders, but those three are the worst.
Focus on the costume and not the candy.
Keep them busy with activities and avoid centering everything around food. Build a scary haunted house, have your kids help make their costume, add to their costume with face paint, etc. If they insist on Halloween treats- turn to the internet and scroll for healthy alternatives to their favorite treats and make them together.
What can parents hand out that is a better, yet still tasty, alternative to traditional candy?
- Newman’s Own chocolate– organic chocolate with no additives or high fructose corn syrup
- Annie’s Organic fruit snacks ( Vegan; gelatin free, fat-free; and naturally gluten-free “No additives or preservatives, Certified organic; made with real fruit juice, Four delicious, all natural flavors in every pouch: Berry Patch, Sunny Citrus, Tropical Treat, Summer Strawberry
- Pirate Booty (these gluten free cheese puffs are a great alternative to candy and come in individual servings perfect for handing out on Halloween)
- Earth Balls Fairtrade milk chocolate – Great tasting fair trade chocolate balls that are wrapped in paper that looks like the earth.
- Yummy Earth Organic Lolly Pops – (Yummy Earth lollipops are USDA certified-organic, contain no artificial colors or corn syrup and are available in 20 flavors such as Pomegranate Pucker, TooBerry Blueberry, and Strawberry Smash.)