Dogs don’t need a big backyard to lead a happy, healthy life, but living in an urban environment does provide unique challenges and circumstances of pet parenting.
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance has put together 4 tips to consider with a dog in the big city:
The best dog breeds for apartments
Take into consideration personality and energy level when choosing a breed or mix to bring into an urban environment. Some breeds that typically do well include (*Full list below):
Pet fire safety
- Create a game plan that can save you and your dogs’ lives. Below is a list of eight simple ways you can make sure you and your pup are safe in the event of a fire.
Getting your pet through the city
- Most ride-sharing services allow pets. Call your driver after confirmation to make sure they are comfortable with having a pet in their vehicle.
- If you need to use public transportation services like a bus or train, check online first to confirm their pet policy.
- If you need a vehicle on the spot and have a driver’s license, companies like Zipcar or car2go offer by-the-hour car rentals. Check with your preferred provider, as many allow pets but they’re required to ride in carriers (see Zipcar’s policy).
Dog park etiquette
- Know how your dog reacts to and interacts with other dogs before trying out a new park.
- Make sure your dog is up-to-date on vaccinations before entering a dog park.