June marks National Pet Preparedness Month. Hurricanes, earthquakes, extreme heat and unexpected weather patterns bring unique risks to our four-legged family members. So, how can pet parents keep their furry family members safe?
Pet Parent Checklist for Natural Disasters
- Have the proper ID: Pets should be microchipped AND have an ID tag on their collar.
- Post a “Pet Inside” safety sticker on your front door or window to alert first responders to the presence of a pet in the house.
- Stock up on survival gear: Create an emergency kit.
- Know where to go: disaster shelters may not be able to shelter pets. Scout pet-friendly hotels or ask friends if you and your pet can stay over in an emergency.
- Be prepared: accidents and ailments can occur at any time, especially during chaotic events like an earthquake or flood.