Plantation shutters are also called as plantation blinds. They are usually found in the warmer Southern and Western states. They are interior shutters with broad louvers. The presence of such grand louvers in the plantation shutters gives a very elegant outlook and goes well with dining halls and bedrooms. Really these shutters can even change the design of a very casual kitchen or other rooms. White shutters are widely preferred but light shades are also acceptable with stains.
Plantation Shutters made up of Vinyl
- These kinds of shutters are cheap in price and fits well in your budget of interior designing
- As the name suggests these kinds are made up of PVC or aluminum which supports stability. Wood is absent over here.
- They can absorb water and moisture and thus suitable for rain-laden regions being of the waterproof nature.
- The different types of vinyl shutters are as follow – Hollow vinyl, Structured hollow vinyl, Solid vinyl and Vinyl clad wood.
Features of Composite Plantation Shutters
- They are sometimes known as engineered wood or fake wood or faux wood.
- As the name itself suggests, they are made up of engineered wood that is MDF which is wrapped in a vinyl or PVC coating.
- They are quite hardy and rigid.
- They can resist tough weather situations and humidity also.
- They can be used instead of pure wooden shutters
Features of Wood Plantation Shutters
- No shutter is better than an original wood shutter.
- Basswood can be the best for making wood plantation shutters.
- It has the strongest weight ratio.
- It is light in weight as well as rigid enough.
- Makers can shape the wood into any possible custom designs with various sizes.
- Paint it on your favorite color, unlike vinyl and composite plantation shutters.
- The wooden shutters can be very classy in looks and can last for many years.
Tips while making Shutters
Measure the window first before making plantation shutters. The shutters must be wide enough as well as long too so that it can fit windows. The fittings are very necessary to get a perfect look with the outstanding designs. Table saws are to be used to cut wood into measurements. Create three vertical boards for per shutter and two boards horizontally for each one. Line up these boards so that they are evenly placed. Mark the areas with dots where the battens should be there. Quality products should be used to ensure long lasting shutters in the making. 18-gauge gun nail to be used while batting the nails to those boards.
Raised Panel Shutters
Raised panel shutters look like the doors or cabinets in kitchen along with a single or double raised panel.
Louvered shutters give a more defined look rather than those low-key panel shutters. Air and light can easily pass through them as they contain angled slats.
Bahamas or Bermuda Shutters
The Bahamas or the Bermuda shutters are fixed at the top of the windows instead of the sides. They suit well in cottages and used mostly in the tropical regions. They are transparent with respect to air and sunlight. They also guard the rooms against torrential storms.
Choose the Best Plantation Shutters for Your Rooms
Choose the Best Plantation shutters made up of MDF as they are cheap in rates and suits your budget. But they can’t provide you full protection from water sometimes leading to swell and sag. Exterior shutters are available in a wide range of costs with different colors and designs and can be customized according to your choice.