As summer heats up, more and more Americans are getting out of town. In fact, over half of American families plan on taking a vacation, according to Rasmussen Reports, and not surprisingly, pet parents are bringing their furry best friends along for the ride! So keep reading if you are traveling with pets for some tips.
Whether you’re traveling by plane, train or automobile, bringing a pet requires preparation and some special TLC. Healthy Paws Pet Insurance – the #1 customer-rated provider of health insurance for dogs and cats – has compiled the five tips for happy and healthy pet travel scenarios:
Check if your pup or cat is allowed on your mode of transportation, as well as where you’re going.
- Train: You can take a small dog or cat on Amtrak for a fee.
- Plane: Air travel requires your pet to have a certificate of health and proof they are up-to-date on rabies vaccinations.
- Boat: Most cruises only allow registered service animals on board.
- Destinations: National parks allow leashed dogs and cats with restrictions.
- Accommodations: Luxury hotels offer special accommodations, so your pets can vacation in style.
Don’t medicate your pets before placing them in a cargo hold.
- These areas are very cold, and medications make it difficult for your pets to adjust body temperature
Evaluate your dog or cat before hitting the road.
- Some pets cannot handle travel because of illness, injury, age or temperament
Even though you’re on vacation, maintain those same routines.
- Provide regular walks, don’t change their diet, keep plenty of fresh water out, and bring their favorite toys.