For many pet parents, the hot and humid summer weather brings pet hydration top of mind, but do many know the benefits of proper hydration all year round? PetSafe® brand is sponsoring Pet Hydration Month this July to educate pet parents about the importance of proper hydration.
“Our pets need one ounce of water per pound of body weight each day,” said Willie Wallace, CEO of Radio Systems Corporation, makers of the PetSafe brand. “Proper hydration plays a big role in a pet’s health, and can save pet parents a trip to their vet’s office.”
Similar to humans, the bodies of our pets consist of mostly water, making proper daily water intake extremely important. Proper hydration can help pets with things like:
- Preventing urinary tract infections and urinary disease. Unlike the food humans eat, dry dog and cat foods have very low moisture levels. If a pet doesn’t drink a lot of water from its bowl, consider adding water to their dry food or incorporating wet food into their diet. Cats with low water intake may experience urinary tract infections, or even urinary stones and crystals that can cause urethral obstruction.
- Aiding with energy levels and temperature regulation. Water helps pets convert fat to energy. If a pet drinks enough water throughout the day they will have the energy to play outside or go on a walk. Water intake also cools the body and helps them maintain a consistent and normal body temperature.
- Speeding recovery time from sickness or surgery. Drinking water can help promote healthy kidney function and flush toxins from their bodies. This is important after a bout of sickness or during the recovery process after a major surgery.
In honor of Pet Hydration Month, PetSafe brand has developed a printable or downloadable infographic to help pet parents determine how much water their pet needs each day based on their body weight, and it also outlines four easy ways to keep pets hydrated in the summer heat.
The 411 on Pet Dehydration
“Dehydration occurs when the fluids in a pet’s body drops to less than normal, often due to either reduced water intake or increased loss of fluid,” said Sarah Beene, category manager for PetSafe brand water and feed solutions. “It’s important for pet parents to know the symptoms of dehydration that can occur not just during the hot summer months, but all year round.”
Common symptoms include:
- Vomiting and/or diarrhea
- Lack of energy
- Excessive and ongoing panting
- Loss of appetite
- Sunken, dry eyes
- Dry and sticky gums
- Loss of skin elasticity (when pulled or moved, the skin will not go back to its original place)
If a pet parent suspects that their pet might be dehydrated, they should take him or her to a veterinarian immediately where they can monitor the pet closely and administer IV fluids. To help pet parents learn more about how to administer a test to see if a pet is dehydrated, PetSafe brand has developed a how-to video.
Pet parents who want to ensure their pets maintain a proper level of water intake each day can introduce a pet fountain to their home. PetSafe brand offers a variety of fountains to meet all pet parents’ needs, including:
- PetSafe Drinkwell® Sedona Pet Fountain – Boasting a trendy, cutting-edge design and 100-oz. water capacity, this fountain is great for pets of all sizes or multiple pet households and was also featured on DIY Network’s Blog Cabin Mountain Retreat 2015.
- PetSafe Current Pet Fountain – Available in three different sizes – 40 oz., 80 oz. or 120 oz. – this fountain is an affordable option for providing your pet with a constant source of fresh, filtered water.
- PetSafe Drinkwell Avalon Pet Fountain – Available in a beautiful red or classic white, this fountain offers 70 ounces of fresh, filtered water in a ceramic design that is easy to clean and looks great in your home.
- PetSafe Drinkwell Platinum® Pet Fountain – Made of BPA-free plastic, this fountain holds 168 ounces of fresh, filtered water and features a free-flowing water stream with adjustable flow, which entices pets to drink more.
- PetSafe Drinkwell Everflow Indoor/Outdoor Pet Fountain – Best for large dogs or dogs who tend to splash water, this fountain holds 1.5 gallons of water and can also be used outdoors by connecting it to a standard garden hose.
- PetSafe Drinkwell Outdoor Dog Fountain – Made with high-impact UV-resistant plastic, this durable fountain holds 3.5 gallons of water and can be placed inside the home or outdoors when temperatures are above 40°F.
For more information about proper pet hydration, please visit www.petsafe.net/water.
About PetSafe® brand
PetSafe® brand is an industry leader in the development of innovative pet behavioral, containment and lifestyle product solutions. PetSafe® brand is owned by Radio Systems® Corporation and headquartered in Knoxville, Tenn. For more information, please visit www.petsafe.net or connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.