Preparation for storm season should take place during blue skies. The last thing y’all want is to have to rush to prepare when the storm is already fast approaching. To stay safe, compile a list of emergency items you keep in your home in case of a storm. If you’re new to preparing for storm season, there are some necessities y’all don’t want to go without. This my guide for what you should have on hand during storm season.
A Go Kit
Preparing a go kit is an intelligent way to prepare for an impending storm. Even if one doesn’t hit, you’ll sleep well knowing you have emergency supplies at the ready. Here’s my list of the essential items to include in your go kit:
- Enough food and water for a week (canned food and other items that won’t perish)
- A full tank of gas for your car (either in the car or in a jerry can)
- A spare set of car keys
- A considerable amount of cash (who knows if ATMs will be available during or after the storm)
- A two-week supply of all your medications and medical supplies (such as insulin, pain relievers, bandages)
- Hygiene products such as toilet paper, soap, wipes, and lotion
- A battery-operated radio and flashlight
- Any important household papers that you don’t want to fall into the wrong hands
An Evacuation Plan
Beyond preparing emergency supplies, you’ll need to know how to get out of your town and where you can stay. Ideally, you’ll want to go somewhere well away from all the storm warnings. Your best bet is to rely on friends and family members.
If y’all don’t have backup generators in your homes, I highly suggest investing in one. If you don’t have any family in the area, check out hotels in nearby towns. Have an ideal hotel in mind so that you can call and make reservations as soon as you hear news about the storm.
Lastly, you’ll want to organize all these steps into a checklist. Simply pull out your list and follow it to the letter. Remember to include your go kit on the list as well as your evacuation plan. That way, y’all won’t get caught off guard whenever a storm hits.
I feel that those items are the most important to have when you’re preparing for storm season. By packing a go kit that includes all the items mentioned above, you’ll have already done the heavy lifting. That way, if a storm should hit, you and your family will know what to do.